The Foreign and Commonwealth Office was designed and built 1866-74 by George Gilbert Scott and Matthew Digby Wyatt. The design of the building was subject to significant debate in parliament and became an issue of public discourse in the C19th which came to be known as the Battle of the Styles, centring on the desire to express national identity through architectural commissions. This walk, led by Historic England’s Inspector of Historic Buildings, Billy Reading, will place the building in the context of national identity in C19th architecture, and will provide access to many of the fine rooms within the building, including the Durbar Court, the Locarno Suite and the Grand Staircase.
14:00 - 16:00
King Charles Street, London SW1A 2AH
The North side, halfway down King Charles Street between Whitehall and St James’ Park